Monday, January 3, 2011

Taiwan Trip - Part I

I have been in Taiwan for a week now but have not had time until now to really sit down and organize pictures and start writing my first trip post. I've been eating pretty much non-stop since I landed :P I can't help it, there's just too much good vegetarian food in Taiwan.

There's going to be quite a few blurry pictures from my trip since cellphone is still the easiest way for me to take pictures without drawing too much attention. I'm pretty shy :P I just want to apologize for them in advance and also some of the translations on food names. Translated names are always confusing and more than one way to say it. Let me know if you would like to know where a restaurant is or what the name of the food is in Chinese.

YVR - left van at midnight on EVA airways




TPE - arrived in Taipei at five in the morning







Breakfast time - one of the well known breakfast chain stores in Taiwan that's known for their soy milk and egg cakes.


Inside - a typical old/traditional taiwanese food restaurant - usually very cheap, minimal deco and might not be the cleanest looking, but I'm here for the food :P


Sauces - hot sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and maybe vinegar somewhere in there


Hot Sweetened Soy Milk - this is really good and not too sweet, the sugar they use is probably cane sugar. My stomach does not take bad sugar well and it didn't make my stomach feel funny.


Egg Cake


Heading a bit further south to ChangHua in mid-Taiwan to visit some relatives.










Cabbage and Mushroom Rice


Super yummy homemade lunch with veggie right from the backyard farm - bamboo shoots, mushroom, eggplants, cauliflower, friend bean curds and marinated bean curds and carrots. (sorry about the squid dish in the pic, not all relatives are vegetarians)


Organic Tangerine Tree in the backyard


Picked a full bag to take home...


Soooo fresh and soooo good!


Even though we were really full after lunch, we still went for more food before we leave the area, to this place that's famous for their Taiwanese veggie meatballs.










Map






Tofu Soup - this is okay, not much flavour in the soup but tofu is pretty good


Veggie Meatball - thumbs up! sauce is so good and it's so cheap, you can get three for 1 dollar canadian...


The sauce is sweet and salty, the outer skin is made of starch steamed and then deep fried. Inside is stuffed with bamboo shoots, bean curds.


Back to Taichung in the evening.
Time for some Stinky Tofu!












Deep fried tofu with pickled cabbages and carrots.


Stuff some into the tofu and eat them together!


And that's how much good food I eat in one day! :)
More to come.

1 comment: